We have a Dell Latitude D830 laptop that shipped with the above-mentioned software package. It was originally version 2.something. I didn’t note the exact number. I decided to try to update to the latest version, and grabbed Wave-Systems-Corp_EMBASSY-Tr_A04_R217281.exe from support.dell.com. This wanted to create c:\dell\drivers\R217281 (I let it), populated the directory, and then launched the installer.
It failed not long after launching with the following error message in a pop-up dialog box: “The Wave Installer could not upgrade the prerequisite Wave Infrastructure. Reason: Could not run the installer. Fatal error during installation.” I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Same failure. Also, I could not fully get everything removed from the Add/Remove Programs dialog box. Googling suggested I try ‘msiexec /unregister’ and then ‘msiexec /regserver’ from a command prompt, and then try reinstalling again. I can’t say with certainty but I think it changed the look of the basic installer window and prepended the “Dell” to the name of the software package being installed. This gave me hope, but no dice. Identical error dialog box.
A little more Google time and I learned of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. This seems like a ‘kill -9’ version of add/remove programs. I used it on all of the installed components that I judged to be part of this package. It worked quickly and painlessly.
I tried the installer again and everything worked!
I got a new DVD player (It’s a Samsung Blu-Ray player and includes an Ethernet port on the back for access to Internet-based services such as Netflix and Youtube — it’s sweet — I’m very happy with it). However it needs internet access via ethernet. I figured an old laptop with a wireless card and ethernet adapter is perfect. There shouldn’t be any need for NAT, DHCP, etc on the old laptop, if only it could just bridge the two connections.
It failed miserably.
Here are two articles that came the closest to being useful:
Howto bridge wireless and wired interfaces
In the end I’m running Ubuntu 9.10. I configured using the Ubuntu GUI my local wireless network and WPA(2?) password. It now connects by default.
Static config for the local subnet in /etc/network/interfaces:
iface eth0 inet static
Ubuntu dropped the ipmasq package that I usually use. Instead I uncommented the following line in /etc/sysctl.conf:
I also added these three lines to /etc/rc.local:
sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan0 -o eth0 -s 192.168.100.0/24 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE
…and I installed dnsmasq, told it only to listen on eth0, and defined the range of IP addrs to use. It’s working beautifully.
Also, to keep the system from sleeping with the lid closed:
System : Preferences : Power Management. Changed “When laptop lid is closed” to “Blank screen” and the system keeps on trucking.
Note that the “Inhibit Applet” on the panel did nothing to stop the system from sleeping with the lid closed. I’m unimpressed with the Inhibit Applet.